Monday, July 30, 2012
Sides Gets First UNOH All Star Win at Jackson
by Brian Liskai
JACKSON, Minn. -- Barlett, Tennessee's Jason Sides picked up his first 410 sprint win of 2012 Friday and his first career University of Northwestern Ohio All Star Circuit of Champions victory at Jackson Speedway.
The was the first ever appearance of the UNOH All Stars at Jackson Speedway and was part of the Jackson County Fair's Sprint Triple Play which also featured 360 and 305 sprints as part of the 144th edition of the Jackson County Fair thanks to sponsorship from Jackson Sports and Donaldson Docks.
'Double Down' Jason Sides took the lead from Danny Lasoski on lap four and maintained a huge lead for the remaining 26 laps on the slick half-mile in front of a near capacity crowd.
'The car was good all night. We tried some things in the dash and it really didn't go our way so we changed them back. My guys do a hell of a job all year long. Finchy (Shane Finch) and my brother Paul'can't thank them enough,' said Sides beside his Wetherington Tractor Service, King Racing Products, VRP Shocks, Dancer Logistics backed #7s.
'The last couple of laps there I could feel the car getting loose. I was trying to stay in the rubber. You never know where Lasoski or Shaffer or those guys are behind you so I just had to push it as hard as I could,' added Sides, also thanking sponsor RE Technologies, Weld Wheels and Don Ott Engines.
Danny 'The Dude' Lasoski, who scored three UNOH All Star wins earlier this season, would hold off three time series champion and current series' point leader Tim Shaffer for second.
'The 7s car just out ran us'he had a better car. Sometimes it's better to be running second. He did what he had to do and put a good pace out there. I was conserving tires and when I saw the 13 beside me I picked up the pace a little more. With the 100 degree weather we've had around here the track did a good job with what they had to work with. I hope we get to come back here,' said Lasoski beside his Triple X Chassis, Kistler Engines, Creason Construction and Klein Motors and RV's backed #33.
Shaffer's third place run would move him back atop the UNOH All Star's Great Plains Region point standings as he battles for the $10,000 region championship.
'We started out pretty good with qualifying but then we stunk it up in the heat and dash. We made some changes but it really wasn't that nice. We just hung in there. The track seemed to come to us. Tire wear was a big deal. I was just trying to maintain and take it easy but still try to be aggressive. We got lucky coming out of four and got the 13 car (Mark Dobmeier). We'll take third. I got Dave Lawrence and James Chambers'they are doing a heck of a job on this car. There's three of us out here on the road'it's making it pretty tough,' said Shaffer beside his Kistler Engines backed Aaron Call/Janet Holbrook owned #83.
Dobmeier would come home fourth with NASCAR driver Brad Sweet earning the feature's 'hard-charger' honor by piloting his Kasey Kahne Racing machine from his 11th place starting spot to a fifth place finish.
Jackson Speedway - 7/27/2012
All Star Circuit of Champions (22 Cars)
Qualifying - Kistler Engines
1. 40-Caleb Helms, 17.266; 2. 83-Tim Shaffer, 17.351; 3. 7S-Jason Sides, 17.359; 4. 89G-David Gravel, 17.507; 5. 33-Danny Lasoski, 17.522; 6. 35-Skylar Prochaska, 17.601; 7. 45-Paul McMahan, 17.696; 8. 13-Mark Dobmeier, 17.720; 9. 54-Cap Henry, 17.723; 10. 16-Travis Whitney, 17.772; 11. 49-Brad Sweet, 17.888; 12. 17-Marty Perovich, 17.933; 13. 35AU-Jamie Veal, 18.062; 14. 29-Nat Eakin, 18.405; 15. 2D-Dusty Ballenger, 18.456; 16. 75C-Casey Heser, 18.634; 17. 93-Derrik Lusk, 18.651; 18. 81-Austin Johnson, 18.696; 19. 2H-Jason Eckard, 18.831; 20. 4W-Matt Wasmund, 18.945; 21. 2-Dale Blaney, 99.999; 22. 14-Jody Rosenboom , 99.999
Heat 1 - Kears Speed Shop (8 Laps - Top 8 finishers transfer to the A-feature)
1. 89G-David Gravel ; 2. 16-Travis Whitney ; 3. 40-Caleb Helms ; 4. 45-Paul McMahan ; 5. 35AU-Jamie Veal ; 6. 14-Jody Rosenboom  ; 7. 2H-Jason Eckard ; 8. 75C-Casey Heser
Heat 2 - All Pro Aluminum Heads (8 Laps - Top 8 finishers transfer to the A-feature)
1. 49-Brad Sweet ; 2. 13-Mark Dobmeier ; 3. 83-Tim Shaffer ; 4. 33-Danny Lasoski ; 5. 93-Derrik Lusk ; 6. 29-Nat Eakin ; 7. 4W-Matt Wasmund
Heat 3 - Dragon Race Fuel (8 Laps - Top 8 finishers transfer to the A-feature)
1. 17-Marty Perovich ; 2. 7S-Jason Sides ; 3. 2-Dale Blaney ; 4. 35-Skylar Prochaska ; 5. 2D-Dusty Ballenger ; 6. 81-Austin Johnson ; 7. 54-Cap Henry
Dash - Outerwears Performance Products (6 Laps, finishing order determined first 6 starting positions of A-feature
1. 33-Danny Lasoski ; 2. 89G-David Gravel ; 3. 40-Caleb Helms ; 4. 7S-Jason Sides ; 5. 35-Skylar Prochaska ; 6. 83-Tim Shaffer
A-Main - University of Northwestern Ohio (30 Laps)
1. 7S-Jason Sides; 2. 33-Danny Lasoski; 3. 83-Tim Shaffer; 4. 13-Mark Dobmeier; 5. 49-Brad Sweet; 6. 89G-David Gravel; 7. 40-Caleb Helms; 8. 45-Paul McMahan; 9. 35AU-Jamie Veal; 10. 2D-Dusty Ballenger; 11. 54-Cap Henry; 12. 35-Skylar Prochaska; 13. 81-Austin Johnson; 14. 29-Nat Eakin; 15. 16-Travis Whitney; 16. 2-Dale Blaney; 17. 75C-Casey Heser; 18. 4W-Matt Wasmund; 19. 93-Derrik Lusk; 20. 2H-Jason Eckard; 21. 14-Jody Rosenboom ; 22. 17-Marty Perovich
Hard Charger: 49-Brad Sweet[+6]